Friday, January 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday, a 2009 first

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to stop neglecting my poor blog. So, here I am, posting something for 2009. It's a Booking Through Thursday and it goes like this:

Happy New Year, everyone!

So … any Reading Resolutions? Say, specific books you plan to read? A plan to read more ____? Anything at all?

Name me at least ONE thing you’re looking forward to reading this year!


My main reading resolution is to stop flaking on my library books. I'm horrible. I'm surprised they don't have my picture behind the counter. I'm surprised they haven't called the cops on me like they did to one woman earlier this year that I read about. I returned four books last week that were 16 days overdue each. Yikes. Why? I just forgot. So I'm going to stop doing that.

I am also going to be braver. About a year ago, I checked an H.P Lovecraft book out of the library. I read one story and was so scared that I locked the book in my car overnight. I didn't even want it in the house. I'd like to say I returned it the next day. The truth is that it fell under the seat and I returned it six weeks late. But anyway, I watched some H.P Lovecraft movies on Halloween and liked them, so my sister got me a book of his short stories for Christmas. That's right, now they'll be in the house all the time! I've read two of them, and they were both pretty good: one was about a cannibal, and the other one was about an undead guy. I don't know if I can hack the one called "Rats in the Walls," but I'm going to read the rest of them.

I want to read some of the books that have been lurking unread on my shelves for years. I recently rearranged my bookshelves to have all of the unread ones together, and they took up their own whole shelf. I'm really missing out, either on wonderful books, or on much-needed shelf space. My goal for 2009 is to start finding out which.

Another goal is to simply find more new stuff to read. There's nothing that I'm hotly anticipating. Im not sure why. So I'm going to work on keeping up with new books better, discovering new authors, trying new things. That's not a bad new year's resolution on the whole, to try new things. We'll see!

No comments: