Thursday, May 7, 2009

Shortest BTT Ever!

Well, today's question was super-easy for me:

Graphic May 7, 2009

Suggested by Vega:

Last Saturday (May 2nd) is Free Comic Book Day! In celebration of comics and graphic novels, some suggestions:

- Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don’t you enjoy them?
- How would you describe the difference between “graphic novel” and “comic”? Is there a difference at all?
- Say you have a friend who’s never encountered graphic novels. Recommend some titles you consider landmark/”canonical”.


The answer to the very first question is, "NO!" I don't read graphic novels. I don't even not read them in an interesting way. I don't actively shun them. I don't avoid them because they stole my bofyriend or other such trauma. I just don't read them. For no reason at all.

I shouldn't say that. I was, for a little while, reading one. Back when we were flush with cash, my boyfriend and I used to go every week to Parkside Candy on Main for ice cream, and then walk over to the comic book store down the street. He liked looking at all that stuff and usually left with something. To entertain myself, I was reading this graphic novel in the store. I can't remember what it was called, but it was the life story of this boy who was very Christian and was abused. He had a long-distance girlfriend that he'd met at Christian camp and went to visit her, and found out she had developmentally delayed siblings and also that she was one of the cool kids at her high school. There was much, much more to it than that -- that was the beginning of the book -- but then he lost his job and I lost my job and we stopped going.

So, I guess I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on graphic novels. The best I can add to this discussion is that one time, I saw one that was pretty decent. Pretty lame, huh?

1 comment:

Jess said...

I don't read a ton of graphic novels, but I loved Epileptic by David B. It was just incredible.